Life After Loss & Dealing With Symptoms of Grief
What Does Grief Look Like?
what causes grief?
Grief can also be caused by many things besides the death of a loved one. It is also normal to grieve when a pet dies or when going through a divorce. These events can be just as devastating for some people as the death of a family member.
what does grief look like?
Grief is not limited to feelings of sadness, however. It can also involve guilt, yearning, anger, and regret. Emotions are often surprising in their strength or mildness. And, can also be confusing. The truth is, grief looks different for everyone. How a person grieves depends on spiritual, cultural, emotional, and behavioral factors.
How can grief counseling in help with grief and loss?
Working with a grief counselor, is meant to help you manage life after loss in a healthy manner. Our grief counselors do this to help you understand and cope with the emotions you are experiencing. And, to ultimately find a way to move on. At CMC Therapy, our grief counselors are specialized in how to help you manage your emotions around your loss. We offer grief counseling (also called bereavement counseling) both in our Davie, FL office as well as offering online bereavement counseling if you are physically located anywhere in Florida. Grief and loss hurt. But it is possible to move through some of these difficult emotions to lighten the weight of the grief. Support, through therapy, can make this journey easier.
Symptoms of Grief
There is no typical response to grief. However, there are some common symptoms of grief that many people experience. We used to believe grief was a series of stages you had to move through. However, recent studies have proven that grief is more like messy cycles of emotions that come and go. Through our grief counselor's experience providing grief counseling, we have seen this in You may experience some or all of these emotions in a period of highs and lows.
- Disbelief or Shock – One of the first emotions that a person may experience after the loss of a loved one is disbelief. You may feel numb or have trouble accepting that the event happened at all. Denial and shock are normal during the initial period after a loss.
- Sadness – After the shock wears off, deep sadness will likely take its place. You might feel empty or lost. You might find yourself crying for no reason at all. The sadness can make it hard to perform normal daily tasks. These feelings are normal. Even though they are unpleasant, they are natural and usually subside with time.
- Anger – Losing someone or something important can feel unfair. It can make you feel resentful or angry. You may feel the need to blame someone for this injustice – the doctor, God, or even the person who died for abandoning you — especially if the death was from suicide. Placing blame is a way to try to alleviate sorrow.
- Guilt – It’s normal to feel guilty after a loss. You may regret things that you said or didn’t say to the person. You might feel frustrated that you won’t have the chance to do things differently.
- Fear – A loss can trigger feelings of fear or anxiety. It reminds you that you and others that you love are mortal. You may fear for the safety of your remaining friends and family. You might even vividly imagine terrible things happening to yourself or your loved ones. These feelings of anxiety and fear are a normal part of the grieving process.
Due to the intense levels of stress associated with grief, it can also affect your physical health. Common physical symptoms associated with grief include stomach aches, nausea, pain, and fatigue.
Grief is something that can be experienced in a wide range of situations. This can include the death of a loved one or a pet, the dissolution of a marriage, estrangement with a family member, or any other kind of significant loss.
Grief Counseling in Davie, FL can help you learn how to manage your grief and loss!
Through grief counseling, our therapists have helped many people feel better and get back their back to what they want it to look like. Our grief counselors know that dealing with constant reminders of loss is exhausting. And, it can have impact many areas of your life. At CMC Therapy, we offer in-person counseling in Davie or online therapy that you can join from anywhere in Florida. Whatever platform you pick, we are here to help you manage the emotions you're experiencing so that you can live a more peaceful life.
Life after loss can feel draining. Often, it might feel like you're not sure what to do. Living with unresolved feelings related to the loss you've experienced can leave your heart feeling heavy. But, you don't have to deal with life after loss by yourself.
Grief counseling in Davie, FL can help you better understand, cope, and manage emotions associated with grief and loss.
Our Davie, FL counseling clinic has trained and caring grief counselors who specialize in helping people just like you deal with loss. To start your grief counseling journey, follow these simple steps:
1. Click "REQUEST APPOINTMENT NOW" below.
2. Get matched with one of our grief counselors.
3. Find ways to remember your loved one fondly, accept the loss and find new ways forward.